This year, Leetonia embarked on an initiative to improve communications with all employees. “Communication Huddles” are held once a month to provide consistent information and updates about various activities in the facility that affect all of us. The following are some of the subjects that have been discussed during these meetings so far in 2016:
- New employees are introduced and welcomed to the Pennex Team. We get to put a face to a name and learn a little bit about our new team member.
- Safety updates are presented by the Safety Leads of our Audit and Inspection Team (Mark West) and our Accident Investigation Team (Mike Comley). They provide specific accomplishments for each team and our Safety metrics.
- Department specific operational metrics report uptime, recovery, throughput and on-time delivery.
- The Customer Spotlight is a highlight of the meeting as the sales team shares how our extrusions are used for a specific Customer.
- Maintenance keeps us informed on specific projects or a specific piece of equipment they are working on to increase uptime.
- Our Quality group reviews their metrics and discusses Customer complaints or any quality issues within the facility.
- We currently have active cross-functional Teams involved with Tensile Improvement, Bubble Reduction, Dimensional Improvement, Scrap Reporting and Overall Scrap Reduction. Updates are provided on these activities.
- HR provides information on any changes in policy or benefits, changes in ADP and informs us on upcoming events like the Company picnic.
- Additionally, each month we have a drawing based on “Blue Card” safety suggestions. We provide a reserved parking space for our monthly Safety Star. The Safety Star recognition is awarded to the employee who provided the most beneficial suggestion through the Blue Card submission.
Overall, we have received very positive feedback from the Leetonia employees on the Communication Huddles and continue to work hard each month to provide the necessary information to better communicate and build a solid team in Leetonia.